Modern Phoenix Week 2020 was going to be March 13-22. We've rescheduled our home tour and other events for March of 2022, public health permitting. Join our mailing list and check back here often for updates.
Celebrating Haver & Nunn
- NEW The Triangle Building was confirmed as a Haver design, saved from demo, and has all new photos
- NEW Mañana Vista near the Biltmore marked the humble start of a national homebuilding empire aka Hoffmantown
- NEW Holiday Park multifamily homes in Scottsdale are confirmed to have Haver provenance
- NEW Villa Monterey is a historic neighborhood in Scottsdale rivaling the quirkiness of It's a Small World
- NEW Hacienda Hermosa in Litchfield Park shows Spanish transition
- NEW Avenida Hermosa in Uptown Phoenix shows Spanish transition
- NEW Encanto Estates in CenPho is confirmed as a Haverhood
- NEW Orchid Park has it made in the shade
- UPDATE Marlen Grove has an updated history, vintage ads and all new photos
- UPDATE Town and Country Homes has an updated history, ads and navigation
- UPDATE Town and Country Manor has new photos and neighborhood history
- UPDATE Town and Country Janet Manor has all new photos
- UPDATE Town and Country Scottsdale has all new photos
- UPDATE Town and Country Paradise has new vintage ads
- UPDATE Mayfair Manor has all new photos
- UPDATE Regents Park Princess Homes has all new photos
- NEW The Moore-Windrow Medical Building was found hiding in plain sight, matching up to vintage photo with very satisfying stairwell
- NEW First Federal Savings and Loan in Scottsdale was demolished long ago, but now has vintage photos
- NEW Hohokam Elementary School is being remodeled as we speak, and has vintage photos
- NEW Kaibab Elementary School was demolished, but we have vintage photos
Get the book!
- Making Architecture: The Work of 180 Degrees Design + Build reveals the art of working with historic properties and building desert architecture
Stay ConnectedSign up for news, special events, preservation action alerts, volunteering, and the rescheduled dates for our Annual Home Tour in Fall of 2022.
- NEW Taliesin Fellow Hulda Drake
- NEW The Colorful Career of Ralph Parachek AIA, founder of Nu Parr Swimwear
Places to Explore
- NEW Driving tour of the Wacky and Wonderful West Side
- NEW American Evangelical Church by Ralph Parachek
- NEW Star of Paradise has updated history and all new photos
- NEW Dutch Village aka Olive Acres by Charles and Arthur Schreiber is king of the character ranches
- NEW Fairmount Apartments in Loma Linda were saved from Home Depot!
- NEW Teakwood Apartments in Uptown are demolished
- NEW The Pierre by Charles Polacek in Midtown Garden Apartment District has updated history and photos
- NEW Bowlero aka 300 Bowl new photos with vintage ads and matchbooks
- UPDATE Park 5th Avenue by Charles Polacek has updated history and photos
- UPDATE 5th Avenue Medical Building by Al Beadle in Midtown has new photos
- UPDATE The Wosco Building by Al Beadle in Uptown has new photos
- UPDATE Executive Towers in Midtown has new photos
- UPDATE Lescher and Mahoney Office Building in Midtown has new photos
- UPDATE Central Towers aka U-Haul has new photos
- UPDATE ARA Building by Howard Madole in Midtown has new photos
LOST IN STUCCOVILLE?
- Try our interactive map of midcentury neighborhoods, vintage retailers and landmarks. Includes driving tours!
- Map of all properties featured in the Midcentury Marvels Book
- Map of Top 25 eligible yet unprotected properties in Phoenix
- Map of vintage neon in Phoenix Metro
- Map of Vintage Van Buren Avenue
- Map of Al Beadle Architecture
[does not include private homes]
- Map of Fred Guirey Architecture
- Download the printable PDF of Top 10 neighborhoods.
MAPS IN FLUX
The host of our maps has moved to a subscription model. Due to the number of private and public maps we maintain, we are in the process of choosing a new map host. The old maps are still functional, but please pardon the awkward graphics while we make the transition!
DO A GOOD THING
Modern Phoenix's research, mapping and social activism is funded exclusively through advertising and special events. If you support our vision, consider sponsoring Modern Phoenix Week to reach your niche market.
AZ Central Critic's Choice
Best Home Tour
Phoenix Magazine Best of the Valley 2019
Best Memory for the Way Things Used to BeBest of Phoenix 2019
Best Home TourBest of Phoenix 2016
Best of Phoenix 2015
Best of Phoenix 2014
Best of Phoenix 2012
Best Modern Architecture Tour 2013
Best Modern Phoenix Tour Stop 2013
The Modern Phoenix® website is owned by Modern Phoenix, LLC. All content is ©2001-2021 Modern Phoenix, LLC unless otherwise credited or a vintage reprint. Individual photographs may be owned by third parties.