If you can't find what you seek here, try our search box above, or our Articles and Architects pages.
RESEARCH YOUR PROPERTY
- The Modern Phoenix audio and visual guide to researching your home using primary sources and tips on using the resources below
- Newspaperarchive online newspaper database of American newspapers and a few internationals
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps available digitally and locally at ASU Noble Library
- Maricopa County Assessor parcel viewer map
- Public Record Center for Arizona
- Receive up to 30 free minutes of free records research through AZ State Library. To maximize your results, try researching your request through their resources first
- Architectural Styles of America
- Historic Districts in Phoenix
- ASU Special Collections including works by Beadle, Straub, Drake, Bruder, Wright, Goodwin, Henry and Elmore
HOTELS & RESORTS
INTERESTING AIRBNB & VRBOS
- Modern Bear BnB in Downtown Phoenix
- Modern Bungalow in Heart of Phoenix
- Hip Guest House in Heart of Phoenix
- Modern Condo Downtown
- Shipping Container Studio Apartment
- Tiny House in Phoenix
- Atomic Ranch Near Airport
- Casita in Central Phoenix
- Modern Condo Downtown in Evergreen 9
- Midtown Retro Condo in Tucson
SIGHTS TO SEE
Few modern properties in Phoenix are open as toursit destinations, but our churches, restaurants and banks are top-notch and can be respectfully visited anytime during hours of operation. You can also print a driving tour of our favorite neighborhoods on PDF here. Consult the Modern Phoenix Map online for exact locations of churches, public buildings, schools, and half-day self-driving tours of churches, neighborhoods and more.
- Stylish restaurants on The Napkin List
- Arcosanti and Cosanti by Paolo Soleri. Tours available.
- Taliesin West by Frank Lloyd Wright. Tours available.
- Desert Shelters by students at Taliesin West. Tours available.
- Grady Gammage Auditorium by Frank Lloyd Wright in Tempe. Accessible for special events and part of ASU campus
- The David and Gladys Wright House by Frank Lloyd Wright. Tours available.
- Phoenix Municipal Complex by Haver and Varney. No tours but easily accessible civic property.
- Phoenix Financial Center by W.A. Sarmiento. No tours, private property.
- Executive Towers by Al Beadle. Private property, lobby only.
- Hotel Valley Ho by Varney, Sydnor and Sexton. Tours available.
- Scottsdale Civic Center by Bennie Gonzales. No tours but easily accessible civic property.
- Arizona Falls is the perfect first-date picnic spot for lovers of architecture, open to the public.
- The Sandra Day O’Connor House by D.K. Taylor. Tours by appointment only.
- Midcentury Marvels of Phoenix [PDF] and accompanying Google map is here.
- Historic Districts in Phoenix. Few are modern, but they're still nice. Self-driving tours only, ticketed annual home tours held seasonally in Encanto, Willo, and Coronado districts. See their respective websites.
- Modern Phoenix Annual Home Tour
Held every April. Next Tour is April 10, 2016. Tickets go on sale February 1 annually, sell out in days.
- The Modern Phoenix Map
- Phoenix midcentury Marvels Map based on research by Phoenix HPO
- Map of Vintage Neon in Phoenix Metro
- Map of Vintage Van Buren Avenue
- Map of Al Beadle Architecture
[does not include private homes]
- Map of Fred Guirey Architecture
- Download the printable PDF of Top 10 modern neighborhoods.
- Map of midcentury-era warehouses in downtown’s industrial district by Jane’s Walk Phoenix
- Representative branch banks in Phoenix (1950-1975), based on research by Donna Reiner, PhD
- Map of Tucson’s Modern
Artists and Makers
- Modfire: The modern outdoor fireplace
- Heidi Abrahamson jewelry
- Gore Design Co. concrete by Brandon Gore
- Trapdoor Studio silkscreen prints by Jonathan Arvizu
- Rameen Ahmed jewelry
- ACI Concrete by Cody Carpenter
- DUST furniture and hardware
- Vintage Industrial furniture
- Jason Hill graphic design and fine art
- Modern quilts by Regina Alexandra
- Dapper + Dash bowties
- Neighborwoods maps by Aymie Spitzer
- Lumature lighting and furnishings
- Modern Manor at Melrose on 7th
- NYLoft Phoenix modern contemporary furniture
- Parnian Furniture
- Boxhill Furniture
- Red Modern Furniture
- Zinnias at Melrose on 7th
- Lewis Interiors at Melrose on 7th
- 2bmod 20th century furniture resale in Scottsdale
- Copenhagen modern contemporary
- Design Within Reach in Scottsdale
- For midcentury architects Beadle, Haver, Guirey, Drake, Schreiber, Straub, Taylor, Gonzales, Madole and more, visit our Architects page
- Visit the Phoenix Metro AIA Chapter
- Bowker's Directory of Architects 1956, includes brief biographies
- Bowker's Directory of Architects 1970, includes brief biographies
- For recommended architects and contractors that work in a modern contemporary style, visit our Architects page
ARIZONA CULTURE BLOGS
- Phoenix Historic Preservation Office
- Arizona Preservation Foundation
- Preserve Phoenix
- Phoenix Historic Neighborhoods Coalition selectes the annual endangered dozen list
- Arizona Historical Research consulting services
- BMB Artifact Services
- Marshall Shore, the Hip Historian
- Scottsdale Historic Register
- Historic Preservation Program resources
- Exterior Rehabilitation Program for homeowners in Scottsdale historic districts
- Tempe Historic Preservation Office
- Tempe Historic Properties including postwar neighborhoods
- Tempe History Museum
- Docomomo Documentation and Conservation of the Modern Movement
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- National Park Service preservation page, including the National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Landmarks and information on preservation standards, guidelines and tax incentives
- Society of Architectural Historians
- Docomomo_US DOcuments and COnserves the MOdern MOvement
- Society of Commercial Archeology, the go-to for roadside signage and buildings such as gas stations, diners and motels
- Recent Past Preservation Network: Modern preservation advocacy
- American Library of Congress Digital Collection, featuring historic newspapers, sound recordings, prints and photographs and a section on American history and culture
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
BOOKS TO BUY
- A Guide to the Architecture of Metro Phoenix - out of print, purchase on ebay
- Midcentury Marvels is $25 from the City of Phx HP Office. Mail order only or pick up in person.
- Plugger: The Architecture of Reginald Sydnor by Douglas Sydnor
- Paradise Valley Architecture by Douglas Sydnor
- Scottsdale Architecture by Douglas Sydnor
- Blaine Drake exhibition catalog by ASU - out of print, look for it in rare book stores online, I found mine on abebooks.com
- Constructions: Buildings in Arizona by Alfred Newman Beadle By Gnosis Ltd.
- The Emerging Metropolis: Phoenix 1944-1972 is out of print but can be found on Amazon
- The Ranch House by Alan Hess
- There are dozens of books on Wright and Soleri at Amazon.
MOVIES TO WATCH
- Phoenix in the 1960s features architeture by Wright, Drake, Haver, Sarmiento, Del Webb and many other Phoenix icons, some of which are long gone
- Homes for Veterans Part I 
Homes for Veterans Part II
The Housing shortage in postwar was very real
- American Look Part I, Part II and Part III  features American industrial designinnovation
- Young Men in a Hurry featuring the Kingston Trio and a clever marketing vehicle for the Phoenix Jaycees
- Route 66 "Fly Away Home" Part I, Part II
Episode featuring Al Beadle's Safari Hotel
- Morrissey drives up and down Van Buren for a place to live "My Love Life"
- Joe B Wong Scottsdale Architect
- Bennie Gonzales Arizona Historymaker
- Beadlearchitecture documentary about Al Beadle
- Pedro Guerrero: A Photographer's Journey on American Masters by PBS
- Modern Phoenix Playlist on Youtube
- Massive collection of midcentury modern videos on YouTube
- Charles and Ray Eames: The Architect and the Paainter on American Masters by PBS