Sands West Polynesian/Tiki inspired neighborhood

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Sands West Polynesian/Tiki inspired neighborhood

Postby ZuluMagoo on Sat May 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I thought this would be of interest to Modern Phoenix readers. I just posted a story about the Sands West Polynesian/Tiki inspired subdivision in west Phoenix over on my Tiki Architecture Blog.

Zulu
ZuluMagoo
Brand Spankin' New

Re: Sands West Polynesian/Tiki inspired neighborhood

Postby PixelPixie on Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 pm

That was a great article! I would love to reprint it and do more on tiki culture here if you'd like. I've acquired a bunch of stuff on the Islands from another member lately.

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Lo on Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 am

The sales brochures are hilarious! Family warriors and gods of A/C.
I had no idea there were so many Sands... and a Hawaiian one at that! I live in Sands East and am only really familiar with mine and North. I thought they all looked the same. Not so!
Lo
Mad about Modern

Postby ZuluMagoo on Sun May 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks, Alison.

I came down from Denver for your Modernism Expo a few weekends ago and really enjoyed the lineup of speakers you had, very informative!

I had a chance to browse the fantastic collection of primary sources John Jacquemart had available for research during his seminar and found that same opening day advertisemnt for the Sands Oasis development. I took some digital pics of the materials and will post an follow-up update to the Sands West article.
ZuluMagoo
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 pm

I think the reason why you found it was you were looking through my personal binder? ;-) Did you find something else?
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Tinman on Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Holy cow... this is my neighborhood! We live in the home in which I was born and raised just 1 blk south of Belmont, as part of a more traditional ranch development named "Park Palisades."

Just to update your pics: Sadly the exemplary home you've pictured on Belmont has had it's original beams chopped from the A-frames as part of a recent re-roofing job... :( It is now the second home in this area to have succumbed to the same fate. :evil: It seems some folks just don't understand or appreciate this aesthetic. Also, the pink and purple example has been re-dressed in a more conservative beige and white combo...

One of my good friends and neighbors lives in a wonderful example of the Hawaiian model, and he and his wife have kept much of the original detailing throughout (Starburst escutcheons, honey maple and pine finishes, pink GE range, hood and oven, etc.), even adding an awesome Tiki sun-room! I'll see if I have any pics of it once I get home...

Thanks for this thread Zulu! I love my hood!
Tinman
Junkie

Return to Modernism in Phoenix