Introduce Yourself!

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

ReagansDad
Enthusiast

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby ReagansDad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Hello all, my name is Justin, as you might have gathered I am a proud parent, two girls: Reagan, 2 and Mia, 5.

I have been interested in design since I was very young. Really interested in Modern design.

Looking to move into a modern house, not ready to buy one yet as the wife and I are trying to decide on another baby or not...

Right now, I own SERVPRO of Ahwatukee and Tempe, we do water and fire restoration, cleanings, etc...Also, in the process of waiting for the ROC to approve my contractors license.

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Welcome Justin! Thanks for signing up!

nwwoods
Brand Spankin' New

Postby nwwoods » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Matthew. I use the handle 'nwwoods' because we are presently living in the northwest, and we were in the woods, but now we live in town in a wonderful MCM home in which we're just the third owners. A picture of our 1960 abode is attached. It is in its original footprint, only the interior is redone.

My father lived in the Phoenix area for many years and we've always hoped to own a home there sometime. We'd love to find an MCM home with the same quality and details as we now enjoy. In the meantime, the resources here on ModernPhoenix.net are outstanding and we look forward to learning and growing.
Attachments
9500-vineyard.jpg
9500-vineyard.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am

Welcome Matthew! Great windows!

Zelda
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Zelda » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi! My name is Emily and my husband and I are moving to Phoenix this summer. We have been looking for housing and have really hit a brink wall. We have always lived in old houses and LOVE them. We currently live in a 1930's house that has been renovated on a great street in a fabulous old neighborhood in San Antonio. (Sidewalks, all the houses are different with character, character, character). My husband is in the Air force and will be stationed at Luke. I have been working with an agent that is showing me every cookie cutter house in the West Valley. The only thing that I have liked has been the ranches in Old Litchfield Park around the golf course. Some look like they have been renovated, but I would want to want to do much more. Some of them could be really cool, but it does not look like any of them have been really upgraded the way I would want to. I love the houses on this website. We don't have kids and we both work and have extra time and money to renovate one of these houses, but I am wondering if someone can give me some insight into the area. It looks like there are a good many short sales and foreclosures. Is this going to be a good investment and are there other areas with character on that side of Phoenix that I should look at? We could go as far as downtown on that side of Phoenix.

Thanks for any advice anyone can send my way,
Emily

HFStudios
Brand Spankin' New

Postby HFStudios » Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi! We're Heather and Fred and we design and build high quality contemporary and modern furniture in our shop in Tempe. We met some of you at the Modern Phoenix Expo a couple weeks ago - it was our 2nd show there (I attached a photo of one of our new pieces that we displayed at the show - a red powdercoated steel and walnut entertainment unit). We have our own designs, like the ones we displayed at the show, but we also do a lot of custom work with homeowners, interior designers, architects, contractors, builders, etc. We love the design and creation process where we start with ideas, drawings, and raw materials, and end up with a beautiful piece of art/furniture. We also like to dabble in ceramics and metal too :D

We moved out here from the east coast in 1999, and fell in love with the desert. Our home is in Tempe and is a small 70's home with block construction. We slowly but surely continue to work on the house and all the desert landscaping we put in. We've had to pack up some of our more breakable (or dangerous!) art and sculptures for a while since we have a 2 year old.

We're going to start a thread in the marketplace forum. Please feel free to check us out online to see what we're working on. We'd be happy to sit down with you and discuss any projects you might have. I know we met several people who were working on remodeling their houses and we'd be honored to be a part of that process. Give us a call! 480.897.7977
Our website: http://www.HeatherandFredStudios.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heather-and-Fred-Studios/6905053762
Attachments
Red EU small.jpg
RED Entertainment Unit - Red powdercoated steel body, solid walnut face, walnut interior. 4 drawers, 1 cabinet. Aluminum handles.
Red EU small.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
Heather and Fred Studios
email: heather@heatherandfredstudios.com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heather-and-Fred-Studios/6905053762

Fine art furniture for the contemporary home

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Welcome to Heather and Fred! Hope you had a chance to check out their stuff this month at Expo!

oswald
Brand Spankin' New

About myself

Postby oswald » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:53 am

Hello all, my name is David Schwinghamer. I'm a 45 year old Az native that loves modern and green architecture. Ive been an architectural student since high school in 86' and am currently living in PV on the side of a mountain. This home is in Clearwater Hills where there are a lot of older homes that need a facelift. I am a caregiver, gardener, electrical drafter and an architectural design buff living semi retired with my grandmother. I would love to see ModernPhoenix become a place where we can meet and share ideas with home design using green building techniques... :)

Below is my home

cwhhousefar.jpg
cwhhousefar.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 5588 times

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Clearwater Hills is amazing! :-) Welcome!

AaltoMeansGo
Brand Spankin' New

Postby AaltoMeansGo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi All. My name is Linda. I majored in architecture a hundred years ago but never had the knack for design. Good design still gives me joy and fills my spirit in the same way that art and music do. But I have never lived in anything but ordinary mid-century-yuck houses. And bringing them into the realm of not-yucky would cost well more than they're worth.
I have a question for fellow MoPho members--how many of you put way more money into your homes than prudent investment gurus recommend? I lust after the beautiful Beadle's in Paradise Gardens and the Havers in Marlen Gardens. I could probably purchase one, but it would use up all my liquid assets. Does anyone else find themselves torn like this? If you have taken that leap, have you ever regretted it? Or does the pleasure of living in a well-designed space make up for the out-of-balance, and possibly risky, investment portfolio?

Gene
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Gene » Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Gene and it is a pleasure to be here. I grew up in a modest 1950's rancher outside of Philadelphia, Pa so I guess that's why I always liked the mid century stuff. During art school that is when I began to appreciate modern design. After my wife and I moved to Arizona in '98, we began our search for older homes in the phoenix area. We really enjoyed the architecture of many of these homes and how they were kept.

We now currently reside in a rural area outside of Phoenix in a 50's style rancher - just like the one I grew up in. This is where I am able to pursue my passion of creating and designing solid wood furniture.

Thank you,

Gene

Rebekah
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Rebekah » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:18 am

Hello Gentle Friends! My name is Rebekah and I am a docent in training at Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. I am currently researching a mid century artist by the name of John Smith. I found 4 of his low - relief style sand cast panels affixed to a exterior wall hidden behind shrubbery at Biltmore Fashion Park. If you visit Biltmore Fashion Park, seek them out between Season 52 and the dirty stinky loading dock to the west! My inquiry for more information took me to the Biltmore Fashion Park's management office. There in the office I discovered 3 more GORGEOUS panels of John Smith's! If your up for a treasure hunt, I suggest you make the trek to the management office deep in the bowels of the Fashion Park. The effort you put into finding these obscure pieces of art will be justified 10 times over when you indulge yourself in their beauty. Moreover, I am asking for your help... in your journeys if you ever come across a piece by him would you please notify me?

In the quest for truth & beauty~

Rebekah
(602) 592-8621
Attachments
john smith biltmore fashion park.jpg
john smith biltmore fashion park.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

Tom Falater
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Tom Falater » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:05 am

Hello Everyone. My name is Tom Falater and I just moved to Phoenix and am looking for my modern house. I'm so excited. And glad to be here.

Return to “Modernism in Phoenix”